Monday 18 April 2016

Melting Moments just melt in the mouth


There can be no better bake which typifies that ‘melt in the mouth’ sensation than Melting Moments. Jenny sent me a family favourite recipe from her Mum, Betty with the following message : 
"You recently came to our Social History group in Chesterfield to give a talk on your grandmother's recipes which I enjoyed very much. It inspired me to look at an old exercise book of my Mum's and bake a few of her favourite recipes again. I do remember Mum making ‘Melting Moments’ and helping her. They were delicious, a sort of a cross between a biscuit and a bun; she used to put a cherry on the top of each one too.”
Melting Moments
 2½oz/65g lard
1½oz/35g margarine
3oz/75g caster sugar
Porridge Oats
5oz/150g self raising flour
1 small egg
1 tsp vanilla essence

Cream the fats and sugar and beat in the egg, Work in the flour and the vanilla essence. Roll into balls with wet hands and coat with rolled oats. Place on a greased tray and press out slightly. Bake in a moderate (180C/200F/Mark 4) oven 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly on a tray before removing and decorate.

Meryl says : Betty used lard and margarine but I used butter instead. I preheated the oven to 180C/200F/Mark 4 which equals Grandma's term for 'moderate'. I put a cherry on top just as Betty did too.
Many thanks to Jenny (and, of course, Betty) for this glorious memory box recipe. I remember having them as a treat in a sandwich box. They were as light as a feather. They’re perfect to bake with children too. Let's keep up the tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.