Monday 30 October 2017

Grandmother Gingerbread does it for me

Grandmother Gingerbread
This recipe came from a cherished family handwritten folder belonging to Peggy Burton who lived in Mansfield. Her Grandmother Gingerbread was very popular with family, neighbours and friends. I wondered  how the recipe would turn out with so much black treacle but my fears were unfounded. I used half the sugar and omitted the salt in Peggy's original version since I was using salted butter.
 Peggy Burton’s Grandmother Gingerbread
10oz/275g self-raising flour
3 level tsps ground ginger
1 level tsp cinnamon
40z/110g soft brown sugar
6oz/175g black treacle
6 tbsps vegetable oil
2 eggs
150ml/¼ pint milk
2oz/50g chopped walnuts
2oz/50g raisins
Pre heat the oven to 180C/ Mark 4/350C. Mix all the ingredients together (Peggy says for not less than 2 minutes!). Bake in a greased or lined cake tin (I used a cake tin measuring 8 inch x 10 inch (21cms x 25 cms ) for between 1 and half to 2 hours.
 Meryl says : This is a lovely traditional recipe which ticks all the boxes for me – easy to bake, keeps well and full of taste. The heat of the ginger is perfect on those autumn days which herald the darker winter months ahead. Thanks, Peggy for a fabulous recipe!


What's your favourite autumn recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.